Regional Flood and Coastal Committee (RFCC) chair appointments
RFCCs help to provide governance for the Environment Agency (EA) Flood and Coastal Erosion risk management functions and cover all flood risks that are not the responsibility of the water companies.
They have three main purposes:
- to ensure there are coherent plans for identifying, communicating and managing flood and coastal erosion risks across catchments and shorelines
- to promote efficient, targeted and risk-based investment in flood and coastal erosion risk management that optimises value for money and benefits for local communities
- to provide a link between the EA, Lead Local Flood Authorities, other risk management authorities, and other relevant bodies to engender mutual understanding of flood and coastal erosion risks in its area
Following a recruitment campaign for four Regional Flood and Coastal Committee (RFCC) posts – Anglian (Central), Anglia (Eastern), Severn and Wye and Southern – the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) is pleased to announce the following four RFCC Chair appointments:
- Brian West Stewart as the Chair of the Anglian (Central) RFCC
- Paul Hayden as the Chair of the Anglian (Eastern) RFCC
- Shirel Stedman as the Chair of Severn and Wye RFCC
- Dr Martin Hurst as the Chair of Southern RFCC
Brian West Stewart’s appointment runs from 2 January 2018 for three years until 1 January 2021.
The remaining appointments will run from 1 July 2018 for three years until 30 June 2021.
DEFRA have also re-appointed four RFCC Chairs for a further three years from when their current terms end on 30 June 2018:
- Eddy Poll as the Chair of Anglian (Northern) RFCC
- Vij Randeniya as the Chair of Trent RFCC
- David Jenkins as the Chair of Wessex RFCC
- Colin Mellors as the Chair of Yorkshire RFCC
Their terms will continue to run from 1 July 2018 until 30 June 2021.